Monday, August 1, 2011

Notes on "Liv-ing"

Finally I have sat myself down at a computer with the know-how to actually write something myself... Hopefully I am as full as wit as some of you are hoping...

These are my impressions so far...

- After just over a month on the trail my social skills may be forever ruined. I now expect my friends to freely discuss their bowel habits (frequency, form, etc) with one another. Spending time with exclusively boys is interesting to say the least and I have learned so many interesting things but mainly how much poo is talked about. At this point I feel I don't even know a trailmate if I'm not familiar with their bathroom/cathole routine. Ah, trail life...

- Mosquitoes- perhaps the world's most vile creatures. I have done my best to diminish the population of mosquitoes in Montana but I fear I am losing the battle- they suck (haha). Of all the wildlife we have seen they are unfortunately the most prevalent and make no secret of their presence. I will continue to fight the good fight against them but am worried they may win... Wish me good luck and high powered DEET. As a typically non-hostile or violent person I feel zero guilt when it comes to the massacre of mosquitoes- be gone you beasts!

- Food: Have you ever wondered if tabouli mixed with butter, dried red chili and tuna is good? If so I'm here to tell you that it is delicious! Same goes for bulgar wheat with dried green beans and mashed potato flakes. I am amazed by the food that is consumed by thru-hikers. It's great being complimented by cooks/waitstaff at restaurants in towns for the sheer volume of food that we are able to take down. If I weren't so proud I may actually be sheepish... Interested in sending food our way? See the address list for help on where to mail things...

- My feet have come a long way (pun intended). It seems like every morning that I step out of my tent they seem to groan a little as if they are saying "this again?!" Daily I have to tell them that the reality of the situation is that we are spending all summer walking so it's time to get with the program. They are beginning to comply- thank goodness. Joel's feet are trying to compete with mine for ugliest feet on the trail and any day now mine should pass along the crown- a title I won't be sad to lose. I have lost 3 toenails so far- grossing out several of my fellow hikers to my great pleasure. Two of them fell out in/around Darby. There was talk of me taking them into a small salon for a pedicure just to horrify the staff. "Excuse me, could you please paint a flower on this one and a CDT symbol on this one?" while holding out my hand with toenails. "No? How about using acrylic glue then to resecure them?" In the end it was better to leave them on the nightstand over night to further mortify our fellow pirate Vocal.

- The kindness of strangers has impressed me beyond words. From people willing to pull over to allow stinky hikers in for a ride to town to hotel rooms purchased by complete strangers just because someone thinks it's great what we're doing, I am so grateful. Just last night in Salmon, ID where I currently am, the owner of the hotel we're staying in delighted me by her extra kindness. She saw that I was sharing a hotel room with 4 smelly boys and let me use her personal bathroom, shampoo, conditioner (1st conditioner in over a month), gave me big, fluffy towels and said that it was important that I still feel like a girl- such kindness. I decided to not quote Vocal when he said "The CDT is for men- and Liv." I hadn't anticipated enjoying town stops so much but the people we are meeting are making them such unique experiences. Huge thanks to anyone who pulls through in assisting a thru-hiker.

In other news, Travis's feet smell- no surprise there but I thought I'd mention it... While I know this is brief there will be more- still so many miles to cover. The land has been amazing to see and I look forward to walking and walking and walking...

Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment